Sunday, August 17, 2003

And Of Course, If You're Not Down With That...

...I got TWO WOOOOOORDS to describe the USFLaPa's New Jersey Seagulls:

Mixed Bag.

The turnout for this year's Thread aPa Yahoo fantasy football league was so big, we had to split it into two 14-team leagues. I'm in the USFLaPa, along with Chaz, Butch, and Rob, who I'm sure will have their own updates if they don't already. The draft was last night (Saturday), and I couldn't participate because I was at work. I was hoping my pre-rankings were set up so that I wouldn't get completely hosed.

Let's find out.

Serpentine draft order, so I picked fifth in the odd-numbered rounds and ninth in the even rounds. Butch was sixth/eighth, which will be noted whe appropriate.

1/5: Marshall Faulk, RB. At 5, I knew I wasn't getting Michael Vick or Ricky Williams, and Faulk's probably the best pass-catching back in the league. If Mike Martz smartens up and decides to GIVE HIM THE BALL this year, I'll be golden. 11 RBs went in the first round (Vick, Harrison, McNabb.)

2/24: Rich Gannon, QB. Sure, he's old. Sure, he's a Raider. But he's never been better than he's been the last few years.

3/33: Hines Ward, WR. Kick-ass. May also be helpful on two-point plays. Butch took teammate Plaxico Burress with the next pick.

4/52: Jerry Rice, WR. OH YOU DAMN RIGHT. *dances* Daily Double with Gannon=good times. Could play 'til he's 50.

5/61: Isaac Bruce, WR. What the HELL. Some questionable RBs went before Bruce, who'd be a No. 3 if this were an actual team.

6/80: Shannon Sharpe, TE. Here's where things started going south. The run on defenses started just before this point (six in the round), and this pick got sandwiched between the Eagles' and Dolphins' Ds, making it look even more out of place. Plus, he's on the downside.

7/89: Jerome Bettis, RB. The Steelers have been actively trying to push him out of the starting lineup.

8/108: David Akers, K. This started the run on kickers. I got the guy I wanted. The BEST guy. And I'm not even biased.

9/117: New Orleans DEF. Three rounds AFTER the run on defenses. I wouldn't have made this pick if you'd put a gun to my head. Butch took Randle El after this. He's probably still doing a jig.

10/136: Chris Chambers, WR. Should start for the Fish, and will hopefully become their lead receiver. Possible trade bait.

11/145: Javon Walker, WR. What's with all the wideouts? But he returns kickoffs and may crack the Pack's starting lineup ahead of Ferguson.

12/164: Jake Plummer, QB. FINALLY I get a backup. Jeez. The biggest question mark of the entire real season, IMO.

13/173: Freddie Jones, TE. He's probably the Cardinals' best remaining receiver. I've always liked this guy. We'll see.

14/192: Jeff Chandler, K. The worst kicker in the league not named Kris Brown. GAH.

15/201: James Mungro, RB. Who?

So that's that. I couldn't have made a better first five picks had I actually been there. The scoring rules favor touchdowns, and I'll get touchdowns from that group. Rob's probably wishing death 'pon me for getting Gannon AND Rice in the backwards rounds. If anything happens to Faulk, I'm screwed for RBs - I'll need to upgrade there. My defense is ass.

So, yeah... mixed bag.

No comments: