Tuesday, December 30, 2003

By The Pigskin Of Our Teeth, Week 17

In Which Grooves Are Busted, History Repeats Itself, And Things Fall Apart

31-0? Hey, wasn't that the score of...

Donovan's celebration... yeah. I don't know where that came from. I blame Rob and his JIB agents. I had Westbrook on my fantasy team and I didn't realize he'd scored that many touchdowns. That's gonna hurt. Spurrier has to realize by now that what he's doing isn't working. And PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one who saw the Brian Dawkins German suplex.

My only guess is that the Eagles winning prompted Fox to change our game from Cowboys-Saints to Rams-Lions. This was... it was like the Rams thought it was "first to 20 wins" or something. I'd say they got up and left but Bulger just got sacked again. There's been an Otis Smith sighting! This happened to the Eagles LAST year, too, just with far less convoluted results (Jets, after learning the Pats beat Miami to give them life, lay smack down on Packers and win division; loss sends Packers from #1 seed to #3, where they get beaten by Vick). You can't drop your finale to the Lions' C-teamers. You just can't.

Me? I also got to watch the Bengals' dream die. Still, 8-8 is enough to get Marvin the key to the city at LEAST. Am I the only one surprised that Suggs didn't hurt himself on the touchdown run?

Neil O'Donnell! I don't care what your cap situation is, you've gotta find a way to keep three quarterbacks in today's NFL. Did we ever figure out what happened to the Bucs? Meanwhile, the Texans were putting it on the Colts until everybody remembered what was going on. Edge went nuts, and the Strickland interception basically decided the game. Forty-one in a row's nice, Vanderjagt. But if you get a shot next week and blow it like you did in 2000, you'll never hear the end of it.

The Cardinals have picked some people off at home this year, and the Vikings had been spitting up against bad teams, but this... I never would have expected this. I didn't see the official signal "push" the first time they showed the catch, so I didn't know why they were reviewing for possession at first. Chris said it perfectly - this should never have happened. The Packers invited Poole to the game. Free playoff game? Damn straight. And he's a Cardinal, so it's not like he's making any money ANYWAY.

I'd figured by this point that the Ravens would at least let Jamal get to 2,000 and then take it from there. Did anyone else find a lot of the playcalling completely nonsensical? Like the Ravens abandoning the run in the third quarter? Ray has twice as many interceptions this year as McAlister. Fake punt~~~~ Blood hatred~~~~ Dickerson's "I'm Not Nervous" sign~~~~ James initially thought Richey missed on purpose before being told it was from 52 or whatever.

TOP 3:
1. New England - They may not be stopped
2. Tennessee - McNair gets much-needed rest
3. Philadelphia - Third time the charm?

BOTTOM 3:
30. San Diego - The Chargers are ON THE CLOCK. My advice: Trade down and get off
31. Oakland - Players packing up Callahan's things for him
32. N.Y. Giants - No truth to the rumor team is changing logo to a tank

No comments: