Tuesday, September 30, 2008

By The Pigskin Of Our Teeth, Week 4: A Real Cool Hand

Signal Finder: CLE @ CIN; GB @ TB; FLA @ NYM; DEN @ KC (end); WSH @ DAL

I don't have kids - and maybe that's the reason for what I'm about to say - and I can't imagine how Matt Bryant's doing this. This game's had a ridiculous number of swings. Wait, Flynn's in? I thought Brohm was the main backup. Not that it matters since none of the Packers' QBs have played more than eight games, but Flynn popping up there was not something anyone expected. (Buccaneers 30, Packers 21)

Um, when people thought they might see a quarterback change in this game, I doubt they were figuring it'd be the Bengals. Man. This game is terrible. I mean, it's really bad. OMG Chad scored a touchdown! He should have about four against this bunch. They've gotta be freezing him out. It's the only explanation. (Browns 20, Bengals 12)

I guarantee this wouldn't have happened if Elway wasn't marrying an ex-Raiders cheerleader. There should be a hole in space-time because of that, right? (Chiefs 33, Broncos 19)

I don't understand how Schoeneweis was allowed to park at the stadium, much less pitch in the eighth inning, especially to a guy who comes off the Marlins' bench seemingly for the sole purpose of hitting home runs. I don't know what the Shea Stadium equivalent of slicing rolls at Tony Luke's (which is what I'm convinced the Phillies had Adam Eaton doing last September) is, but he should have been doing that. (Marlins 4, Mets 2)

PROTECT THE FOOTBALL. I'M SERIOUS. This is how it's ended everywhere else for Warner. Meanwhile, Favre can't be stopped, and the Cardinals just got pwned on that play fake that the Jets went to Coles on. GUNSLINGER. Thirty-four points in one quarter? Are you kidding me?! This Cardinals rally is nice but it'd help if they, y'know, had more time. Also getting a stop might be a good thing to try, too. cringes Boldin might be lucky to be alive after that. The 34 is more impressive than the 56. Discuss. (Jets 56, Cardinals 35)

"Sorry, Lane. I'm just doing my job. You gotta appreciate that." "Nah - calling it your job don't make it right, Boss." (Chargers 28, Raiders 18)

I like that Aikman and I are of the same mind about the squib kick. Newman is getting used and abused here. Can you even fair-catch a kickoff? And why would you? And now we're back to the end of last year with the Cowboys where they inexplicably couldn't run the ball at all. Uh-oh. Here come the Redskins. "I was rooting for you all along, Butch." "Well, thank you, Flatnose. That's what sustained me in my time of trouble." (Redskins 26, Cowboys 24)

I don't know... I thought Olsen had it and it wasn't even all that close. Anyone think the touchdown play was designed so that DeSeasn would end up in the back of the end zone? I gotta say, Orton's been making good throws. I still maintain he can be successful in this league and should've been starting all along. I'm beginning to worry about Akers. The last three games the Eagles have given up a score in the last two minutes of the first half and I feel like that's why some other things have been happening. This is the bad night for DeSean that we all figured was going to happen at some point. He hasn't been the same since that muffed punt. What's with all these red-zone flameouts tonight? Is it last year again? I agree with going for it there. The play call... that I'm not sold on. On the other side, the Bears finally hold late in the game, which can only help their psyche. This is the second year in a row this result should've gone the other way. (Bears 24, Eagles 20)

Well, that'll surely blunt some of the blood hatred that this matchup always envokes. You forget sometimes what a violent game this is, and then you see that and Boldin the day before and you also start to realize that this has been happening a lot lately. Man, Ben's having flashbacks. Who is Carey Davis? Flacco's doing a few things. Wow. The Steelers have looked awful. Are those boos? One of the great things about sports is how situations can change lightning-fast. Flacco never realized the rush was coming - that's the first mistake he's made. McLain just bulldozed that poor guy, whoever that was. This was one heck of an escape job. (Steelers 23, Ravens 20, OT)

FANTASY REPORT

aPaFL (1-3, W1): Finally! Of course, I had to sweat out MNF and the worst team Sven's ever had, but another big game from Larry Johnson and a Herculean effort from Delhomme gets the Seagulls their first win. Ocho Cinco's still going to the bench, though. Sidenote: The guy who had Favre didn't start him.

JackSux VI (3-1, W1): The opposite story here, as I handed Charlie his first loss of the season behnd Coles' massive game and another big passing day from Drew Brees.

RANKINGS

1. N.Y. Giants (3-0) - Plaxico situation bears watching
2. Dallas (3-1) - Is the T.O. bomb about to go off?
3. Buffalo (4-0) - Why the heck not?

30. Oakland (1-3) - At this point, I feel like it's just the fact that Lane Kiffin's not old enough to know better... and I kind of admire that
31. Cincinnati (0-4) - Yep, the bad old days are back
32. St. Louis (0-4) - So they fire the head coach one week after he benches the starting quarterback... and elevate the guy who's running the defense that's given up 147 points

No comments: