Saturday, November 1, 2003

Was It Something I Said?

We haven't gotten a lot of trick-or-treaters around my apartment complex. I only got one last year, and one again this year.

It was real early, around 4. I answer the knock at the door, and there's a little girl, couldn't have been older than three, in a giraffe costume. Her mom's with her, coaching her on what to say, but she looks either confused or scared and is just standing there. She tries to walk in a couple of times, but Mom pulls her back. She has yet to say anything, and I've been caught off guard, not expecting anyone to show up.

I say, "Hang on a second" and go open a bag of Hershey's Kisses I happen to have lying around. I grab a handful and go back to the door. Nothing. She's just standing there. She's got candy in her little bucket, so it's not like she's had stage fright all day, either. The standoff continues for about 30 more seconds until she cries out. Mom tries to figure out what's wrong, and the girl suddenly starts walking away. Mom tries to bring her back, but to no avail.

Wow. Now I feel sad and horrible. :( I'm sorry I brought it up.

No comments: