Tuesday, September 12, 2006

By The Pigskin of Our Teeth, Week 1: Home Sour Home

The new theme song... leaves me nonplussed. Nice of NBC to pick up the tradition of the individual player intros. Can I just mention now how strange it is to see Al Michaels holding an NBC mic? Nice leap, sir. It is REALLY LOUD down on that field ... I can barely hear Costas. Nice play call on the Batch-Miller hook-up, but is Miller that fast or is Will Allen that slow? Whoa, his knee was down. Why aren't the Dolphins challenging this? Wait... you mean they did? Wow, somebody was asleep at the switch on that one. When DID they get rid of the replay buzzer? And will this bring it back? Nice read of the play by Polamalu. Did someone get a piece of that kick? Reed never misses that badly. Aaaaaand the Dolphins give it right back.

View Finder: PHI @ HOU, NYJ @ TEN, NO @ CLE (end), DAL @ JAX, Federer @ Roddick

New graphics for everybody!

Vince Young, y'all! Has Pacman Jones always had "P. Jones" on the back of his jersey? Like that's his actual name?

AGAINST: The new referee uniforms.

Is this... is this pass protection? From the TEXANS? It's an insane world. And Carr looks like he likes it. Over/under on T.O. references: Seven. Nice fake by Donovan, and Stallworth ended up ridiculously open. Maybe I should have made that the over/under for the first half. Jeez. Excellently done, sirs. Wali Lundy? Wow. I'm fairly certain I saw him play in high school.

Braylon's gotta catch that.

How 'bout that new Mike Martz offense! Johnny: "Man I hate ugly wins AND Ford Field. I hope they burn that fucker down."

All of one yard to start. Well played. Also, what's with the Cowboys seemingly opening every season these days on the road against an AFC team? When did it become "Maurice Jones-Drew", anyway? I'm just waiting for Fred Taylor to get hurt, myself. Hey, a Reggie Williams sighting! The Jaguars have pretty much owned the second half. You know who hasn't been all that good is Bledsoe. Is this really an upset? The Jags were a playoff team last year.

I'm just glad the game's finally being played. The Giants aren't letting the Colts run the ball at all, really. But they keep dropping interceptions. Man, they just look sloppy in general. The Colts have been trying to replace Harper for years and he keeps sticking around by doing things like that. What a time for Shockey to have a blonde moment. Coughlin's gonna pitch a fit.

Is that Lee Corso as the mascot in the Nike commercial? (Edit: It is. And Leinart's the backup QB.)

AGAINST: The Vikings' new shoulder striping. I seem to remember the Vikings' punter-as-new-holder story being something of a big deal in the offseason and then that happens. Clearly HANDS is not among Troy Williamson's buzzwords. Theismann: "Sean Taylor doesn't care who he hits." I don't know about anybody else but I thought Tony owned Joe on Tirico's "Does Taylor's reputation work against him when it's the difference between a flag being thrown or not?" question.

Wow, when did the Raiders sign the Texans' offensive line? Andrew Walter? Already? This is surprising mostly because it's happening so soon. For some reason I was sure he was a lefty.

FANTASY REPORT

USFLaPa (0-1, L1): WTF. Now I know how the Panthers feel. I got ambushed by the Cargers defense and lost to Shaken Baby Syndrome by five. (Of course, if I hadn't started Brady over McNabb this could have been avoided.)

JackSux III (1-0, W1): Now this is more like it. A 141-102 win over Brady's Bunch. If SHV actually scored touchdowns, we'd be dangerous.

2 comments:

Butch Rosser said...

You should check the blog to see what I put for you, Rob, and Gates. (Barely beat out for Rob's: This Man Just Got Sacked By Shawne Merrriman Again...Oh, Wait...)

Matt said...

While good, I liked the comment you left on Rob's blog better.