Tuesday, January 2, 2007

By The Pigskin Of Our Teeth, Week 17: Safe Crackers

This is hardly a lock. Does anyone else already miss the late-season Saturday afternoon game? Yeah, Tiki running wild like this is the only way this isn't his swan song, as he's the only person on that offense I'd trust at this point. If winning this game and making the playoffs means Coughlin gets to keep his job, as an Eagles fan, I'm all for it.

Signal Finder: DET @ DAL, OAK @ NYJ, ATL @ PHI, SF @ DEN (end)

Wow. The endings these last two weeks have been ... vintage Bengals.

Worst Game Of The Decade Candidate: Browns-Texans.

Screw T.O., why isn't Mike Furrey in the Pro Bowl? What that guy's done is borderline historic. Although either of these defenses could probably use him on their side right now. And speaking of Pro Bowl snubs, I think Newman's problem is guilt by association because these other guys can't cover anybody. I know I called the Romo degradation about three weeks ago, but it shouldn't be happening against the Lions. The 'anointing oils' haven't just been put away, they've been poured down the sink. Mike Williams lives! OK, Romo's salvage job there was quality. I can't hate on that. You know who's good is Jason Hanson. De-NIED! And Eagles fans everywhere do a jig. Something else I just remembered is that the Lions did something similar to the Rams a few years ago. I think it might have cost them home field or something. Still, this should never have happened.

Fox switched us to the start of the Eagles game and Jason and I were trying to figure out a way the Eagles could draw Dallas in the first round. (The Giants winning made it impossible.) Then when the game started, we were trying to figure out if and when they'd pull the starters after the Dallas result was known. Turns out the answer to that was "almost immediately." I never did determine if Jeff is still with Carmella or not. Why are all of the backup running backs getting hurt? It'd still suck to lose. Oh, all right. Never mind. Yeah, I didn't think this would happen. Certainly not the way it did.

This is the one thing Jake was really good at, as I know all too well. Going back to earlier in this one, what was with the Broncos' offense turning into the Redskins' at the goal line? Three trips inside the 5 and you don't get jack? Horrible. You do that and you probably need to lose. Is that enough time for The Original Alex Smith? Not if he's gonna do that, it isn't. I can't remember there ever being a situation where a team only needed to tie to get a playoff berth and it actually ended up in a tie. Seriously, if the Niners get some talent, watch out because Smith is making progress. I can't blame Menefee for missing the call initially ... I couldn't tell if he'd made it the first time, either. What an ugly kick. And ... the Chiefs get in, making Broncos fans sick to their stomachs and causing the Colts to throw up in their mouths. Is it just me or did the Broncos' fold not get nearly enough press?

Why is Testaverde in the game? Are they trying to lose? The Titans would have gotten in if they'd won, but it's just as well ... they're not ready.

Wow. The Bears needed this like Chicago needs another fire. Would it be so bad to go straight to Orton? Would anyone really complain after this? I also figure Favre told his teammates: "Y'know, this might be it for me. These guys shut us out in the opener for the first time ever. We've owned them for about as long as I've been here, especially here. Let's do it one more time." You didn't ask me, but I think he's done.

RANKINGS

TOP 3:
1. San Diego (14-2) - Now they really need that bye week
2. Baltimore (13-3) - Who saw this one coming?
3. New Orleans (10-6) - Yay

BOTTOM 3:
30. Cleveland (4-12) - Romeo needs to keep his job
31. Detroit (3-13) - So bad, they can't even lose right
32. Oakland (2-14) - Drain the pool

No comments: