Thursday, August 11, 2005

Worst. Prize. EVER.

So the paper won the Publishers' Quarterly Innovation Award for, well, several innovations that we created during the last quarter. (There's really no other way to say it.) The memo posted on the board said that the higher-ups had some trouble coming up with a reward for us, so they left it up to chance.

With balloons.

What they did was, they filled the conference room with balloons and brought us in to pick and pop one. Inside each balloon was a number, and each number corresponded to a prize -- gift certificates, free movie rentals, cash, a day off.

I drew a 4.

What's a 4 worth?

How about a WaWa gift card? (Link provided for those of you reading who are NOT in the New Jersey/Pennsylvania area, which, unless Shane's dropped by recently, would be... all of you.)

That's right, people. I won a gift card to a convenience store. This is easily the lamest prize I've ever won, and I haven't won a lot of prizes in my time, so you wouldn't think I'd complain. But what possible value could this thing have? Who is using gift cards at WaWa? How does that decision get made? "You know, I'm really jonesing for an Italian Shorti, but I don't have $3.30. OH WAIT. I have my gift card! Oh, happy day!"

The only saving grace this thing has is you can use it to get gas at the ones that have gas stations. Otherwise, it's all just so wrong and sad.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
~ A P R I L ~ said...

I'm new to blogging and so I'm hitting "next blog" until I find something I like. Great writing style.

Thanks for the wawa link, I didn't know what you were talking about. I'm from OK so it did help me.

A convenience store gift card, yeah, that sucks. Maybe you should give your boss something equally lame.... nothing comes to mind though.... isn't boss's day coming up soon?

Hope you can get some free gas outta that card, it's $2.32 here for the cheap stuff!

Oh, here's the link to my blog: http://aproka.blogspot.com

Johnny B said...

You have fans!

And that is incredibly lame. I'm glad I didn't hired at that paper.

How hard is it to take you out to a nice dinner or just give you a bonus check? HOW???

Matt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Matt said...

To be fair:

1) It was company-wide. There are several hundred of us. That's a lot of dinners :)

2) Newspapers don't make money anymore to be throwing around bonus checks for a quarterly award. I stumbled upon some circulation figures, and every paper in the state is down from last year.

3) Not all of the prizes sucked. Just the one I won. :(

Johnny B said...

Well, it doesn't have to be fancy and shit. Maybe a picnic or something, I dunno.

That's some shit about circulation figures being down. I wonder how your ad sales are.