Tuesday, August 16, 2005

2005 Fantasy Draft Report: 1 of 2

So I'm doing the two-league thing again this year, too. First up was Rob's league, named Jacksux in "honor" of his longtime former employer. I am the Captains of Charisma. *trumpet fanfare* But I couldn't be there in person Monday night because, well, I never am. Work, you see.

We know Rob didn't rig the draft order, because if he had, he wouldn't have given himself the first/last pick in each round. He's not that stupid. The downside for me, picking second, is that I'm the first loser in the Peyton Manning sweepstakes.

ROUND ONE (2): Oh no. I have to settle for RB LaDainian Tomlinson. Only the best all-purpose back in the game playing for a team that relies heavily on him.

ROUND TWO (19): There are only so many Colts to go around, and if you want to win in fantasy, you should probably consider getting one. Like WR Reggie Wayne, for instance.

ROUND THREE (22): RB Tiki Barber. The equally versatile Tiki sets the Captains' backfield in stone.

ROUND FOUR (39): A quarterback would be nice at this point. And with the Big Huge Names off the board, the Captains of Charisma will put Trent Green, the trigger man in the high-powered Chiefs offense, under center. Good thing he has Priest and Gonzalez to throw to, 'cause his wideouts? Not actually that good.

ROUND FIVE (42): Here's where things got interesting. It seems like there are so few teams in the league these days that have one primary running back. A lot of teams have two or even three backs splitting carries. The Rams' Stephen Jackson is a back in such a situation. Biding time behind Marshall Faulk, this may be the year Jackson supplants him as St. Louis's primary guy. Then again, it may not.

ROUND SIX (59): I don't know who in Miami's gonna get the ball to WR Chris Chambers, but he does good things with it when given the chance.

ROUND SEVEN (62): Lavernaeus Coles is back in New York, where he broke out while hooking up with Chad Pennington. That's a combination that'll have to come through for the Jets, and you have to believe they know that. Which is good for me.

ROUND EIGHT (79): It's about time for a tight end. But with Gonzalez, Heap and Dallas Clark off the board, we got saddled with Jeremy Shockey, who's coming off an injury and wasn't all that productive last year when he was healthy. Maybe he'll actually get the ball thrown to him this season.

ROUND NINE (82): I don't know how this happened. How is Matt Stover the first kicker taken? Before Akers? Before Vinatieri? Before Elam? Anybody who knows me knows I'm taking Akers in this spot if I'm there. It won't be so bad if the Ravens can actually move the ball this year, though.

ROUND TEN (99): Somebody took the Patriots' defense 11th overall. And it wasn't Jen. I don't get it. But I did get the Atlanta defense, a unit built on speed that made some key additions in the offseason and should get better.

ROUND ELEVEN (102): That rotator cuff injury must really be scaring people, because realistically, QB Chad Pennington probably shouldn't have fallen this far. Now that he's in a real offense, staying healthy will be the key. Good Value, Kiper would call this pick.

ROUND TWELVE (119): Remember how I was talking about how Stephen Jackson might move in on Marshall Faulk? Well, look who turned up here: RB Marshall Faulk. Hello, bye-week double-shot!

ROUND THIRTEEN (122): WR Derrick Mason. The Ravens are counting on Mason to give Kyle Boller someone to actually throw to. IF he can do it, that's more good news for me.

ROUND FOURTEEN (139): With last season's injury to Steve Smith, WR Keary Colbert stepped in and showed he could play a little bit. Now he's fighting Rod Gardner for Muhsin Muhammad's old spot, but should still see plenty of action.

ROUND FIFTEEN (142): A Cleveland Brown? Ew. And currently injured RB Rueben Droughns at that. Was he merely a product of the Broncos' system last year? Probably.

ROUND SIXTEEN (159): TE Randy McMichael. Again, no idea who's gonna get the ball to him in Miami.

ROUND SEVENTEEN (162): K Phil Dawson. Psssssht. Like the Browns are gonna score any points. (Was waived two days later and replaced by Jeff Wilkins, as I won't believe the Ravens can score points until I see it.)

1 comment:

Rob T said...

Damn straight. I HATE first. And somehow, I always end up there in my own league.

If this trend continues, I may go against my principles and set an order next year.