Tuesday, August 23, 2005

2005 Fantasy Draft Report: 2 of 2

And now we're back to our old standby, the aPa league. It's the third year in the league for the New Jersey Seagulls -- we were league runner-up two years ago and just missed out on the playoffs last year. Same setup as usual: two separate leagues, 14 teams, 13 regular-season games, three weeks of playoffs, then a hand-scored final between the two league champions.

Interesting sidenote: this was the first year I actually noticed the "Exclude Players" column on the left side of the pre-ranking screen. It was utilized heavily. No Bears or Browns will dirty our uniforms.

ROUND ONE (12): Wade, sometime last season: "...and anyone who doesn't draft [Peyton Manning] first next year is borderline retarded." Wade got the first pick and he indeed did take Peyton. I'm sitting at 12th, which will become a strange spot in this draft.

Now historically, the aPa leagues have always emphasized having a strong running game, so the top RBs usually go earlier than in other leagues. As I pointed out in the first draft analysis, it seems like the majority of teams now use two and even three backs semi-regularly instead of just having one featured guy. So getting that featured back early can be critical to your success. But at 12, I wasn't convinced of the auto-picker's chances of getting that one guy.

It didn't happen. But I did get WR Marvin Harrison, who I got in the exact same spot last year. He's only good for what, 90-1200-12? I'll take that every day and twice on Wednesday.

ROUND TWO (17): Would I fulfill my quixotic quest for a top RB with my second pick? Well, the next four picks after Harrison were Moss, Dillon, Julius Jones and Kevin Jones. So, no. WR Reggie Wayne, COME ON DOWN! He'll be good for what, 75-1000-10?

ROUND THREE (40): Well, I got a running back here after all. LaMont Jordan is new to Oakland after toiling as Curtis Martin's backup for a few years with the Jets. If he's any good (and it's not like the Raiders have a whole lot of other options), that's good news for me.

ROUND FOUR (45): This is getting eerie. WR Andre Johnson was my third-round pick last season. Let's hope I don't have to trade him for his quarterback like I did last season.

ROUND FIVE (68): You know what a lot of people forgot about the Falcons last year is that RB Warrick Dunn rushed for over 1100 yards. I actually like this pick better than the Jordan one, as while Dunn could get his touchdowns scooped by T.J. Duckett, he could also catch 50-60 balls if the Falcons' wide receivers continue to suck.

ROUND SIX (73): I'm looking at the draft board, and QB Chad Pennington is better than all three quarterbacks taken in the previous round. He has Lavernaeus Coles back, but his big thing has been staying healthy through a full season.

ROUND SEVEN (96): Hey, it's the Ravens' defense! I'll... take it, I guess. Seems a bit high.

ROUND EIGHT (101): David Akers started the run on kickers. As he should.

ROUND NINE (124): You know what I don't have yet? A tight end. TE Bubba Franks should suffice as long as he isn't stuck trying to help keep Brett Favre upright.

ROUND TEN (129): Will someone explain to me how in the blue hell John Hall, Shayne Graham and Matt Stover all went off the board before K Mike Vanderjagt? Someone? ANYONE? I'm gonna sit on this gold mine and wait for one of you to get desperate. :)

ROUND ELEVEN (152): We're just filling spots now. WR Greg Lewis is angling for a starting spot in Philly with Pinkston down. He's fast and was good for one big gain per game late last season. We're gonna need more than that.

ROUND TWELVE (157): And our other backup WR is the Chargers' Keenan McCardell.

ROUND THIRTEEN (180): We need a backup for Pennington. We got QB Kyle Boller, who finally has weapons this season. Let's find out if he can use them.

ROUND FOURTEEN (185): Here's a strange pick: RB/TE Chris Cooley. As the backup tight end, he's guaranteed a spot, but, y'know...

ROUND FIFTEEN (208): RB Zack Crockett. He's still in the league?

Obviously, I heart my passing game, and I like my running game. I'm not crazy about my depth at all, though.

No comments: