Thursday, November 5, 2009

By The Pigskin of Our Teeth, Week 8: Shuffle and Repeat

Signal Finder: NYG @ PHI, MIN @ GB, OAK @ SD, CAR @ AZ (end)

I feel like I've seen this before. Different shade of blue, though. Leonard Weaver lives! I know I've seen this before. The extra point got blocked? It's an epidemic. That's the second week in a row where Jackson's somehow been left ridiculously wide open. How does that happen more than once? I also didn't realize that the Giants haven't had Ross all year in addition to Phillips being out. Meanwhile Eli's overthrowing people by 10 yards. Interception! This is getting ugly. Nice catch by Maclin.

Did we really need a shot of Brett Favre arriving at the stadium?

That's not a lateral. Oh, it wasn't even a fumble? Even better. That's why Jason Babin hasn't played all year. Just back away slowly next time. They're not gonna blow this, are they? Apparently not. Really? Down 23 and you're trying a 47-yard field goal? And not making it? One down, one to go. How YOU doin'? (Eagles 40, Giants 17)

FAKE FIELD GOAL! Hey, why not, right? Remember when we were talking about this game possibly being the end of the Lions' losing streak? (Rams 17, Lions 10)

Yeah, those are mostly boos. There are a few cheers, but... yeah. I also find it interesting that even though the Vikings came out as a team, he was last. At least the Packers getting the ball first gave the fans a break to catch their breath. Ahman Green? Really? I see Childress has learned his lessons from last week. But it doesn't work the second time! Even so, we've now reached the worst-case scenario for Packer fans – Brett Favre, as a Viking, in Lambeau, engineering a beatdown. You know who's good is Aaron Rodgers. You know who'd be better with a healthy offensive line is also Aaron Rodgers. One of my favorite things about sports has always been guys like Spencer Havner – a three-year practice-squadder and converted linebacker turning into a secret weapon. Uh-oh. We've seen the Vikings' defense let down like this at key points in games before. Friends, this is officially interesting. They are going to try to tackle Peterson, right? Oh, never mind. So is this story over finally? Please? (Vikings 38, Packers 26)

This just in: JaMarcus Russell has thrown another interception. No, really. Somewhere in Tennessee, Lane Kiffin is smoking a cigar and saying, “I told you so.” Butch: “The last time the Raiders beat the Chargers the successful Cyrus was Billy Ray.” I must confess: This game was on here but I watched maybe 45 seconds of it. (Chargers 24, Raiders 16)

This'll be interesting, sure, even though the Falcons' biggest problem on defense plays right into the Saints' hands. Or maybe because of that. You know, this also happened last week. Saints doin' what they do. Well, except for that. PROTECT THE FOOTBALL. I'm not sure how much attention Jeremy Shockey's revival is getting but it's important to note. That happened fast. So did that. This game isn't really over yet, y'know? I mean, it really isn't. It's going to end, right? Right? I'm not kidding; I turned to this after the baseball game ended and it was about midnight and there were still two minutes left. Onside kick! Did they get it? They got it! Did someone touch it? Oh, OK. Oh, look, a Darren Sharper interception. That's never happened before. (Saints 35, Falcons 27)

FANTASY REPORT

aPa (4-4, L2): A flat week all around as I lose to Nate by two points when a running game of any kind would have given me a win.

JackSux6 (6-2, W2): Ted Ginn's Bench-Riding Redemption indirectly helped me, as I got credited with the two return touchdowns for the Dolphins defense and special teams and beat Johnny – who had Chris Johnson – by seven.

Lincoln Continentals (6-2, L1): Did something unusual: forgot to set my lineup and ended up with two players on open weeks. It didn't matter, as I still lost by 56, but it's the principle of the thing.

RANKINGS

TOP 4

1. New Orleans (7-0) – Is 11 in the cards?

2. Indianapolis (7-0) – You gotta win games like that one

3. Minnesota (7-1) – Another hiccup, but they've survived so far

4. Denver (6-1) – This is the Broncos team we all feared we'd see

BOTTOM 4

29. Kansas City (1-6) – I mean, it's not like Larry Johnson's helping them or anything

30. Washington (2-5) – I think “I-23” is actually in their snap count

31. Tampa Bay (0-7) – Extra week of prep for Freeman

32. Cleveland (1-7) – Offense has been outscored by the Saints. ...DEFENSE.

No comments: