Tuesday, January 1, 2008

By The Pigskin Of Our Teeth, Week 17: Trespasses? What Trespasses?

CBS because they would've had it on a Sunday before NBC stole it from them (natch). For such an historic circumstance, I'd really like a better play-by-play guy than Bryant Gumbel. Hey, way to blow a challenge two plays in! And people wonder why I'm all for Coughlin keeping his job. Eh, we've seen this before. It's not gonna happen. When are teams going to realize that zoning up against these guys doesn't work? If I'm the Patriots, I just keep doing that - abusing a secondary that isn't that good to begin with. Now there's something we haven't seen much of yet - special teams coming into play. What, Moss totally caught that. Someone was asleep at the switch there. The Giants' offense looks good for the first time in about a month. It's not gonna happen, though. Yes, I know they just took a 12-point lead. I'm telling you, there's no way this holds. Wow, these Giants DBs are getting owned. Did Moss think, "This is too easy" and just take his eyes off it? Well, he got that one. I don't want to say the Patriots couldn't have made this comeback last year, but I will say it would have taken a lot longer. (Patriots 38, Giants 35)

Signal Finder: BUF @ PHI, DAL @ WSH, PIT @ BAL, MIN @ DEN (end)

You can tell both these teams are 7-8. The Eagles' goal line defense strikes again. Nice stand-up tackle by Rocca. See, this is that crappy, indecisive wanna-be rain that I hate. Again Curtis is Johnny-on-the-spot. I wonder what's gonna happen to... J.P. Losman. (Eagles 17, Bills 9)

Parcells couldn't have been a fan of this. (Bengals 38, Dolphins 25)

If I'm the Steelers, I put somebody else back there. I mean, I at least think about it, 'cause that can't happen twice. Troy Smith has to at least get a shot at the starting job next year. (Ravens 27, Steelers 21)

Really, Who Gives A Rat's Ass?: Cardinals 48, Rams 19

Why can't the Cowboys run the ball anymore? Seriously, they haven't been the same team offensively since the Packers game. Meanwhile, Portis seems to have found himself after a slow start. You can look at any series of about 11 plays and tell who's trying to get into the playoffs and who's just coasting. This isn't how you're supposed to do a rivalry game! Where's the hatred? (Redskins 27, Cowboys 6)

I'm not sure I get switching to this game now that it's completely irrelevant but whatever. (Broncos 22, Vikings 19, OT)

Friends, I've found the worst wide receivers in the NFL: the Tennessee Titans'. Vince isn't even pretending to throw to them. Speaking of Vince, how many of his former Texas teammates are on this field? I like how Peyton still threw 16 passes before leaving. Did Jim Sorgi actually get his own motion chyron bumper? Did they really do that? And is he gonna mess around and end up winning this game? Kerry Collins lives! Then there was a moment near the end when Sorgi got flattened and it looked like Peyton might have to come back in. crosses off Browns (Titans 14, Colts 10)

RANKINGS

TOP 3:
1. New England (16-0) - Was there any doubt?
2. Indianapolis (13-3) - Slowly removing the bandages
3. Dallas (13-3) - Have they already peaked?

BOTTOM 3:
30. Kansas City (4-12) - Blow it up!
31. Atlanta (4-12) - Who'd want this job?
32. Miami (1-15) - Enjoying gift from Brian Billick

No comments: