Friday, August 25, 2006

2006 JackSux 3 Draft: Son of JackSux

So this league, which drafted last night, is the one that Rob runs, and I'd like to start off by thanking him for deciding to actually count receptions this year.

I log in and find out that, in a cruel twist, I'm drafting in the middle of the sequence, meaning I pick back-to-back at the end of the first round and then the beginning of the second round.

Team name is the subtitle of this blog.

ROUND ONE (10): RB Stephen Jackson. Now it really is his show in St. Louis. New coach Scott Linehan seems to want to use him more, so who knows.

I actually missed this pick because I had to reboot my computer for reasons yet unexplained.. Thank God the autodrafter actually went with my rankings and didn't do some BS like pick Brian Finneran or something. I did get into the room in time to do this:

ROUND TWO (11): WR Chad Johnson. What do you need to know? Makes plays, breaks games, scores touchdowns, all that. The first WR taken (Steve Smith went with the next pick.)

ROUND THREE (30): QB Eli Manning. He's got the weapons; he just needs to be more consistent. This maybe should have been Carson Palmer but I'd have liked him to have played a game by this point.

ROUND FOUR (31): RB Warrick Dunn. See the aPa draft. Also, with T.J. Duckett now gone, there one less person on the roster to vulture goal-line carries from him.

Somewhere in here I announced my presence in the draft chat to Jen and KS(? I think) after Jen said that nobody ever shows up late to a fantasy draft. After the draft, Butch posted on the message board that he was at the library and somehow couldn't connect. Also I don't know how Rob sets a draft time that he himself can't make :)

ROUND FIVE (50): TE Tony Gonzalez. Still one of the best at a position that's suddenly become loaded thanks in part to the new pass defense rules.

ROUND SIX (51): WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh. Chad's unheralded teammate. Some would say this is too early to be taking a No. 2 receiver, but 1) he's the No. 2 guy in one of the three most powerful offenses in the league; 2) it's a double-up; and 3) having Gonzalez is almost like having a second No. 1 receiver.

ROUND SEVEN (70): WR Nate Burleson. Should be a solid No. 2 guy for the Seahawks.

ROUND EIGHT (71): QB Trent Green. Good value as a backup this late, especially if Eli regresses. After this pick, Jen typed "*does something stupid*" and picked Deion Branch. :)

ROUND NINE (90): Seattle DEFENSE. The defense run and the kicker run kind of wove together at the beginning of this round They play defense. Plus Julian Peterson is a god among men.

ROUND TEN (91): RB DeAngelo Williams. Because DeShaun Foster is the new Fred Taylor and I happened to see him return a kickoff for a touchdown in the Fox game last night against the Dolphins.

It is somewhere in here that I realize that I've created a problem for myself. A nice touch Yahoo's added is showing the bye weeks for each player in the draft window. But I just now notice that Chad, T.J. and Burleson all have the same bye week (5, I believe). I'm going to need a few more receivers.

ROUND ELEVEN (110): But not before I take my token Eagle, K David Akers.

ROUND TWELVE (111): WR Laveranues Coles. I'm sure I butchered his name in the aPa draft report and I'll go back and fix it. But top receiver + bad team + questionable running game = crazy delicious. Jen took the Patriots' kicker with the next pick and I'm still wondering how the team named "Brady's Bunch" isn't hers. KS must have gotten to it first.

ROUND THIRTEEN (130): TE L.J. Smith. Another Eagle. Strictly a depth pick.

ROUND FOURTEEN (131): WR Michael Clayton. I think he'll bounce back after a subpar 2005 season. Knowing that Chris Simms will be the quarterback will help. Plus, Joey Galloway can't live forever.

ROUND FIFTEEN (150): WR Antwan Randle El. I wonder if the WR option's part of the Redskins' playbook. I doubt it.

ROUND SIXTEEN (151): WR Antonio Bryant. How many teams has this guy been on already? See the Coles pick.

2 comments:

Rob T said...

Sorry. I had every intention of being here, but something came up and I was dealing with something at draft time.

Believe me, I wish I'd been here? EDGE? EDGE? *sigh*

Matt said...

No need to apologize. It just seemed odd.

And like you said, it could be worse: you could've been Dupin. *points and laughs*