Monday, August 21, 2006

2006 USFLaPa Draft

I probably could have been in a third league this year but I can't win consistently at two yet. I have no business moving up.

This year's aPa draft came with a fun new twist as the New Jersey Seagulls got saddled with the No. 1 pick, meaning I also pick last at the end of every other round. It's a spot nobody really likes.

ROUND ONE (1): RB LaDanian Tomlinson. Popular opinion had LDT, Shaun Alexander or Larry Johnson as the best possible No. 1 pick. I went with Tomlinson because LJ doesn't have Tony Richardson and Willie Roaf to block for him anymore, and Alexander has to overcome not only the Madden cover curse (which I'd forgotten about) but also the Super Bowl losers' hangover. Plus LDT is a better pass-catcher than the other two.

ROUND TWO (28): QB Tom Brady. Reliable. Durable. Won't hurt you with turnovers. And if you think I'm going through another season with Chad Pennington, Kyle Boller and Mark Brunell, you're smoking crack.

ROUND THREE (29): RB Warrick Dunn. Got him in the fifth round last year and he did well for me in the Falcons' run-happy offense. I'm probably going to regret passing on Reggie Bush in this spot, though.

ROUND FOUR (56): WR Rod Smith. This guy just keeps putting up numbers. Some questioned him going before new teammate Javon Walker, but don't be surprised if they end up with similar stats when the season's over.

ROUND FIVE (57): QB Donovan F. McNabb. This was a coin flip between him and Matt Hasselbeck. Quarterbacks were getting snapped up left and right, there wasn't a second wide receiver I was in love with here, and in my position, I felt that if I didn't get a second QB soon, I'd be left with all second- and third-tier guys when my pick came back around.

ROUND SIX (84): WR Laveranues Coles. Eh, at this point in the draft all the receivers are about the same. Had Coles in my other league last year and wasn't offended.

ROUND SEVEN (85): TE Chris Cooley. I got this guy in the 14th round last year and he was a godsend. Fills a key role in Joe Gibbs's offense and should continue to improve.

ROUND EIGHT (112): I vomited before taking WR Keyshawn Johnson, as I don't like him and never thought he's ever lived up to his press clippings. But as a possession receiver and flex guy at this spot, I'll take it.

ROUND NINE (113): K Adam Vinatieri. The league's best kicker takes his game indoors and south to better weather. Really, he should never miss anything again. The kicker run actually started with Vanderjagt at the end of this round.

ROUND TEN (140): WR David Givens. An unsung guy last year who fills a depth need at this spot. Plus he's better than Drew Bennett and Billy Volek doesn't suck.

ROUND ELEVEN (141): TE L.J. Smith. Quietly had a solid season last year with 61 catches.

ROUND TWELVE (168): K Josh Brown. This ended the kicker run. Strictly a bye week pick.

ROUND THIRTEEN (169): Denver DEFENSE. The Great Cleveland Migration actually worked last year, and their linebackers are among the best in the business.

ROUND FOURTEEN (196): RB Ryan Moats. SPEED! (And possible return yards.)

ROUND FIFTEEN (197): WR Santonio Holmes. The only real-life rookie on the Seagulls. I think he's a possible sleeper who could be starting by year's end if he can stay out of the slammer. I mean, really, Cedrick Wilson?

2 comments:

Rob T said...

Happy birthday!

Butch Rosser said...

You better be having birthday pie right now.