Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The Top 15 Of 2005

Before the festivities, a confession.

I haven't really been paying attention this year.

I'm not sure why, but it probably starts with how little radio I listened to last year. So little that, when I started the list, I wasn't sure I could come up with 15 songs I liked (and the first draft, indeed, stopped at 13 or so.) What I did come up with is heavily slanted towards the beginning of the year (I go December to December. It's easier to follow than the Grammys, at any rate).

Onward.

15. Amerie - "1 Thing"
Poorly mixed drums aside, this is good stuff. But Amerie's holding out on us. She never tells us what that... thing is. Come on! Spill it! Suckas gots to know!

14. Weezer - "We Are All On Drugs"
It's not supposed to be ironic, I don't think. It just sounds like it is.

13. Ringside - "Tired Of Being Sorry"
The best song this year you never heard.

12. Jay-Z & Linkin Park - "Encore vs. Numb"
Weren't you supposed to retire, Hov? Have mash-ups become the Next Big Thing yet or did they already disappear faster than Vogue-ing? And how much higher would this be if I actually liked Linkin Park?

11. Ciara - "Oh"
I have no special place smelling of citrus and feeling like triple-ply soft to the touch to go to when this song plays. Though it's worth it just to hear a girl sing the word "crunk" and have it throw you off just a little bit.

10. Coldplay - "Speed of Sound"
How do they keep doing it?

9. T.I. - "Bring 'Em Out"
Because every list needs a club anthem and I never got into "Disco Inferno". Seems like a waste of Jay-Z, though.

8. Ludacris - "Get Back"
The man's trying to get his groove on. Don't interrupt him.

7. Usher, Lil' Jon and Ludacris - "Lovers And Friends"
Lil' Jon on a slow jam? WHAT? These three teamed up and hit a solid double with "Yeah!" last year, but the fact that this song was even conveived of, let alone that it actually happened... that's a home run. I'm still surprised this didn't end up higher.

6. Audioslave - "Be Yourself"
This -- once I realized it wasn't the Chili Peppers after the third listen or so -- doesn't sound like anything anyone in this band has ever done.

5. Rihanna - "Pon de Replay"
You just started dancing in your seat. Admit it.

4. A Perfect Circle - "Passive"
I wonder how Maynard decides what he's going to do for Tool and what he's going to do for this side project of his. Do you like anger? Do you like defiance? Do you like people who just bring it? Then here's your song.

3. Franz Ferdinand - "This Fire"
I'm sure something from the new album'll crack the list for 06. But in the meantime, here's one that sneaked in under the wire. And haven't we all had at least one someone who's driven us to feel like this?

2. The Game & 50 Cent - "Hate It or Love It"
Easily the best of their collaborations before their ugly beef and split. I think they'll both be fine on their own, but this was so damn good I feel a little cheated.

1. Kanye West feat. Jamie Foxx - "Gold Digger"
2004's Artist of the Year coming back strong? Check. Being funny and isnightful? Check. Getting Jamie Foxx to do his Ray Charles impression on the hook? Check. Yet another GEICO reference? Are they paying him off or something? No matter.

1 comment:

Butch Rosser said...

Are you sure we're not related? Because it seems like every year we have like 85% of the same songs...