Friday, October 28, 2005

Like Philadelphia to Memphis... Through Atlanta

The title of this post refers to the flight route my parents took when they went on vacation to Memphis and Nashville a few weeks ago.

But this post has (almost) nothing to do with that.

I was surfing "My Recommendations" on amazon.com earlier and I was astounded at some of the reasons they made some of the recommendations they did.

Astounded in a good way and a bad way.

Recommending Theory of Poker because of Super System being on my wish list is obvious. The Big Bad Voodoo Daddy album because of Swingers makes perfect sense. But -- and I'm sure I'm not the first person to notice this -- some of the connections they make are truly bizarre:

How do you get to a wireless broadband router from Super System II?

How does the Miles Davis classic Kind of Blue lead to a Jet Li movie? (Hero, for the curious.)

The Comedy Bible to The Quick and Dirty Guide to Salsa? (The dance, not the condiment. Although the condiment would probably make even less sense)

And how exactly do you get from Chappelle's Show: Season 2 to Madden 2006? Is it because they both have black men on their covers?

But this one takes the cake: I was recommended a mixer - you know, the kitchen appliance - based on owning Norah Jones's Come Away With Me.

That's a connection that completely eludes me. I think of mixers and I don't think of Norah Jones, I think of cake batter. Cake batter, Norah Jones. Cake batter, Norah Jones. Cake batter... Norah Jones...

...

I suddenly have to go.

3 comments:

Butch Rosser said...

It looks like cake batter, but, brother, it ain't cake batter!

Johnny B said...

Hi-yo!

Matt said...

Actually, it IS cake batter. It's much more fun that way. :)